Families and Friends of Blue Gum is an incorporated association for parents, carers and friends of Blue Gum Community School. We are passionate about the unique and exciting education experience offered by Blue Gum Community School.
Families and Friends of Blue Gum strive to:
- Represent the collective interests of Blue Gum families within Blue Gum Community School and in the wider community;
- Assist Blue Gum families, friends and the wider community to understand and support the Blue Gum education philosophy;
- Support and organise activities, including fundraising, aimed at enhancing the students’ experience at Blue Gum Community School; and
- Foster a strong Blue Gum community through initiatives that connect Blue Gum families and friends with each other, and the wider community, including community and business organisations and governments.
All parents and carers with children currently enrolled at Blue Gum are automatically members of Families and Friends of Blue Gum. Other carers, such as grandparents, are also welcome to become members (please contact the school for further information). There is no membership fee.
If you prefer not to be a member please contact the school office by email at email@example.com
What does Families and Friends of Blue Gum do?
In the past year or so we have:
- Supported members to run the highly successful Blue Gum Art Market, a major community building and fund raising activity that resulted in the purchase of a kiln (installed in the Hackett campus art studio Artyology) and resources for the Dickson campus library
- Supported the school in running Slow Sunday, an annual spring event where each class in the school organises an activity or puts on a performance
- Organised a Cultural Tour of Mount Majura with Ngunawal traditional custodians
- Provided a welcome morning tea at the Hackett Campus on the first day of the school year
- Organised an evening of spot-lighting at the Botanical Gardens.
Families and Friends of Blue Gum meetings are generally held on Wednesday evening in Week 4 every Term starting at 7.30pm, we endeavour to finish by 9.00pm. Any changes to the date, time or venue will be sent via email through your Class Parent Liaison. These meetings provide an opportunity for parents and carers to be updated on current events, ask questions and provide feedback to the Blue Gum Executive Director and the FFBG committee.
A typical meeting will generally consist of an update from the President on what is happening in Families and Friends of Blue Gum, a Q & A session with Maureen Hartung the school’s Executive Director and a presentation or discussion topic by Blue Gum educators. Previous topics have included Blue Gum’s Outdoor Education Program, Blue Gum’s High School Program, Praise verses Encouragement and an evening exploring Artyology.
Please note that FFBG is committed to ensuring the focus of meetings is on communication – so don’t be afraid that if you attend you’ll be press ganged into taking on jobs!!
The Annual General Meeting is held in Term 1 each year.